On episode 42 of the WRITER 2.0 Podcast, I spoke with Dave O’Leary about music, books, and teaching English abroad. We also touched on:
- the difference between writing books and writing songs;
- his second novel, THE MUSIC BOOK;
- the songs of Julia Massey and Sightseer;
- the CD he released with his book as a benefit for The Wishlist Foundation;
- why some bands break out and some don’t.
Plus, on Today in Writing, Sartre’s NO EXIT.
About our guest:
Dave O’Leary is a writer and musician living in Seattle. His second novel, The Music Book, is a collection of the writings O’Leary has done about Seattle bands for both Northwest Music Scene and the now defunct Seattle Subsonic. It is a fictional narrative wrapped around and within the actual music, a story about live music in Seattle and, more broadly, about the power of music in our lives. A CD of the music experienced in the book has been released by Seattle indie label, Critical Sun Recordings.