On episode 73 of the WRITER 2.0 Podcast I spoke with author and book-launching mastermind Tom Morkes. Tom offered up tons of valuable advice about how to plan your book launch up to a year in advance. We also touched on:
- his transition from commissioned officer to entrepreneur;
- the keys to a great author website (also discussed on here);
- why there are no shortcuts to building your social media following;
- the differences between fiction and nonfiction platforms;
- how C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien built their “platforms”;
- how to build community around your book 6 months before it comes out;
- his company, Insurgent Publishing.
Plus, on “Today in Writing,” Hemingway questions his Nobel Prize.
About our Guest:
Tom Morkes was born in the Chicagoland area, grew up in West Michigan with his 3 brothers and 3 sisters and attended the United States Military Academy at West Point, NY, where he double majored in Human Geography and Russian and fought on the boxing team.
After graduating, Tom served five years as a commissioned officer, including a deployment to Iraq as a Gun Truck Security Platoon Leader.
Tom is the CEO of Insurgent Publishing, a book marketing and publishing company, the creator of Publishersempire.com, a book launch platform and private self-publishing community, and the author of The Art of Instigating, Notes from Seth Godin’s Revolution Conference, The Complete Guide to Pay What You Want Pricing, and Collaborate.
Tom writes a blog at Tommorkes.com where he applies what he’s learned leading troops in combat to the world of entrepreneurship, writing and art. Check him out and say hi – he loves it when you do that!